09 January 2008

Helping The Monsters Get Organized



It's Wednesday, and that means it is another installment of Works For Me Wednesday...this week however, it's a backwards WFMW, in that we're asking for help on our blogs rather than offering our own tips.

My dilemma is this: I'm having a difficult time teaching the monsters how to get and stay organized. Their school folders are tattered and filled with crumpled, unnecessary papers and while we go through them monthly, I don't know how to go about teaching the monsters how to stay better organized.

What are your favorite tricks to teaching your children how to keep necessary information in the proper place and how to learn what can be tossed? How do you help them understand the difference, so that they aren't pack rats of school papers?

Any help you could offer would be appreciated, so leave a comment on my dilemma, and then head on over to Rocks In My Dryer to see what help you can offer others!

Until later...

2 comments:

Amy said...

My kids each have a "junk" drawer in their rooms that we go through/clean out about every 3-4 months. It's a place they can hang onto what's special to them. For school pages, I have a magazine filer that I keep on a corner of my kitchen counter. When they get home, they empty all school pages into there. I go through them, keep the ones that are important, or any that I want to file, and throw the rest away. Hope that helps!

TracyMichele said...

I don't know how old your children are, this is my first visit to your blog. My littles are still young so I haven't run into this issue... yet. :)

The only thing I can think of is to make a game. Sort of like the old gameshow (can't think of the name) where they would ask the audience to find a paperclip and the first one to do so, gets to play the next game? ANYWAY... maybe you could do something similar. Bake some cookies and announce, "The first one to find "X" gets a cookie". or something of that nature. It might encourage them to think about where they are keeping things.