10 September 2008

Chaos and Whim

A schedule defends from chaos and whim. It is a net for catching days. It is a scaffolding on which a worker can stand and labor with both hands at sections of time.
~ Annie Dillard


This quote is so true for my family. We NEED a schedule. Okay...the monsters might not, but I certainly do!

I have a severe Type-A personality. I work best when things have a place and are in their place. If everything is "just so" I can deal better with the chaos and whim that pops up from time to time.

The first few weeks back to school have a huge relearning curve for my little family. After three months of living basically on my own, I need to relearn how to deal with the needs of the monsters. I need to learn how to balance my crazy work hours (will there ever be a time when I don't bring work home?), helping with math facts, quizzing on spelling words, helping with French vocab, making dinner, washing clothes...well, I don't have to tell most moms how it is.

I admit that I get very selfish over the summer. I do what I want, when I want. I eat what I want, when I want. The monsters? Not so much. For whatever reason, they expect to have a three course snack after school and a five course meal for dinner...of course those courses are just seconds, thirds and fourths of what's on the menu, but still.

I have been more tired these past two weeks then I have in a long time, and I know that it is because the monsters are back home and we're learning to live together again.

I'll be glad when chaos and whim are only sometime visitors, instead of the guests that refuse to leave.

Until later...

0 comments: